Tag Archives: Cuzco Cosima

Cozy Cosima

Standard

I have had Cuzco Cosima from Berroco booklet #281 in my knitting basket for an age. I actually started the sleeves twice. I am glad I didn’t finish at the time I started it, because I have learned so much in that time, I don’t think I could have made this sweater anywhere near as well as I did. Score one for procrastination!

Truly, when deadlines are arbitrary, I think of it less as procrastination as Knowing Thyself. If it’s a drag, put it away. Hobbies are supposed to be fun. If it’s meant to be, you’ll pull it out again someday and work on it. If not, you’ll decide then what to do with it.

I was very bold with this project. Other than using the recommended yarn (which I never do, but this was on sale), I did little else as instructed. I read a lot of reviews of this sweater on Ravelry that said the sweater was much bigger than represented in the photo. Many recommended going down a pattern size in front. I believed them, after glancing at the schematic. How is a 13″ left front, even with overlap, going to result in a 36″ finished sweater?

I decided to make a small for the back and extra small for the fronts. I also knit this in one piece. I had to do a lot of fancy math to get the pattern to work out well. To be honest, I always find it annoying when a sweater is to be pieced but then does not include extra stitches for a selvedge so you can seam the thing without losing part of the patterning. Duh.

I also made long sleeves, which I thought looked crappy in reverse stockinette. I wanted them in stockinette, but then the rest of the sweater would not match well since it is in reverse stockinette. So I worked the chart over the middle of the sleeve stitches, making mirror image sleeves.

Sleeve detail

It was quite tricksy when I combined the body to the sleeves, remembering which row, facing which direction on which section. Add to it all the decreases, which meant losing part of the pattern each right side row, and this became an exercise in logic and concentration.

I’m happy with the look of the sweater, in terms of not messing up the chart. The yarn seems a little too cushy, if there can be such a thing. It’s thick yarn. I want to block it so the lacework shows well, but I don’t want to make the sweater too big.

I did make some decreases at the side seams, and moved to a smaller needle (twice) in order to shrink this down enough at the upper bodice without messing with the charted stitches.

Afterthought: I wrote the draft of this post on June 10, but it has been unreasonably hot for so long, I just never could make myself put it on for photos!

Sleeves puff out where the shirt underneath ends. Blurg.

Advertisements